Welcome to the 2016 version of www.kidcyber.com.au a website established in 1999 for primary students and teachers.
Who are we?
The writers and publishers of kidcyber are Shirley Sydenham, a primary/elementray school teacher, and Ron Thomas, a primary teacher-librarian. We are authors (together, individually and with others) of numerous books for teachers and kids, published in Australia and overseas.
kidcyber began back in 1999 when we saw the need for Internet resources that addressed the need of students K - 6 . The Internet needed material that was simply written for a younger audience, factually accurate, readily and constantly available and regularly updated as required.
Our target Audience
- Students from K - 6
- Teachers and parents
- Homeschool students and their parents
- Teacher Librarians
- Special Education and English as a Second Language teachers and students
We aim to provide:
- More than 400 pages of easy to understand text for students K - 6 research and inquiry learning
- Information organised under eight topic headings
- An easy to navigate format
- illustrated with photos and enhanced with video clips
- 'Ask a kidcyber Researcher' feature where students can request specific information about a topic using the contact kidcyber
- Advice to parents about helping with school homework assignments and projects
Writing the pages
kidcyber pages are written with middle and upper primary school students in mind, although some are written specifically for younger students, for example those about pets, farm, celebrations, and community.
Most pages begin with few simple facts in large print for younger students, before the body of text which is written for older grades.
kidcyber flipping books are included as reading material for younger students presenting stories and factual information in a online reading resource.
Additional, carefully chosen links are provided for additional information where appropriate
A suggested citation for a bibliography appears on each page to assist students in this task. Students should be encouraged to acknowledge the sources of information they use for their learning.
Adding new pages
We add new pages
- following changes to educational curriculum
- on request from students and teachers
- to meet current/topical information needs e.g climate change, Olympic Games, sustainable living.